smoked mackerel, broccoli and almond salad recipe
This is an excellent salad for lunch or as a starter for dinner. Serve with griddled sour dough, scraped lightly with garlic and drizzled with a little extra virgin olive oil. There are two different dressing recipes here, both good. I swap around.
For 5-6 (as main, 8-10 as starter)
For the salad
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon capers and 1 tablespoon of the vinegar from capers
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 300g tender stem broccoli
- 300g purple sprouting broccoli
- 4 smoked mackerel fillets
- 60g flaked almond, toasted
- 60g blanched hazelnuts, roasted & roughly chopped
For the yoghurt dressing
- 4 tablespoon natural yoghurt
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 20g chopped herbs – mint, parsley, dill
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- Flaky salt & pepper
For the apple dressing
- 100ml olive oil
- 50ml cider vinegar
- ½ apple peeled and chopped
- 20g herbs – mint, parsley, dill
- ½ tablespoon runny honey
- Salt & pepper
Mix together the onion, capers, vinegar, salt, lemon zest and juice. Leave to marinate for at least one hour, longer if possible.
Blend all the dressing ingredients in a food processor for either the yoghurt or apple version.
Steam the broccoli for 5-7 minutes until tender.
Skin and flake the mackerel into chunky size pieces.
Toss all the salad ingredients together gently with half of the dressing and half of the toasted nuts.
Arrange in a serving bowl or a large flat dish and drizzle the rest of the dressing and scatter over the remainder of the nuts.
This recipe featured in the Sarah Raven 2016 Calendar.
You may also like: