Vintage Sunflower Collection
In this collection
|Sow Under Cover|
|Direct Sow/ Plant Out|
- Hardy Annual
- Cutting Garden
- Broad Tolerance
- August - October
- 1.5m (5ft)
- Common name
- Moist but Well-drained
- Full Sun
- 45cm (18in)
- Sow spring under cover or direct sow mid spring. Place 2 seeds 10cm (4in) apart at each planting post, 30- 45cm (12-18in) apart. If both germinate, transplant one. Pinch out the tip at 30-45cm (12-18in) to encourage branching.
A classy and sophisticated grove of sunflowers very different to the Van Gogh yellows, and to me, all the lovelier for its mix of rich and gentle tones. Grow these together in a garden sunflower swathe and pick again and again for a jug or vase. The more you pick, the longer they flower.This collection contains a seed mix of, or 5 jumbo seedlings each of:
- Helianthus annuus 'Ruby Eclipse' F1
- Helianthus annuus 'Claret' F1
- Helianthus annuus 'Valentine'
- Helianthus annuus 'ProCut Plum'
Helianthus seeds are packed with nutrients, they're perfect for scattering on salads, or with mixed nuts on greek yoghurt for a protein-rich breakfast.
Sunflowers are hungry feeders. Improve the soil before planting out with plenty of well-rotted manure or garden compost. Water your sunflower plants regularly. You will need to stake them if they’re in an exposed position.