In this mix
- Half-Hardy Annual
- June - September, 14 weeks from sowing
- 60cm (24in)
- Common name
- Irish Poet, Tassel Flower, Lady's Paint Brush
- Moist but Well-drained, Well-drained
- 200 seeds
- Full Sun
- Plant 15-20cm (6-8in) apart, thin to 30cm (12in)
- Sow indoors Feb-April in trays of compost, direct sow after last frosts.
Emilia javanica, or Irish Poet, is one of my favourite new annuals with delicate tassled flowers in the deepest, richest orange. This looks brilliant in the garden and vase with Ageratum 'Red Sea'.
Water regularly, attracts pollinators. Will occasionally self-sow depending on location.