Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian Mixed' F1
In this mix
|Sow Under Cover|
|Direct Sow/ Plant Out|
- Perennial (grown as an annual)
- Border (Middle)
- Broad Tolerance
- May - July (in their first year from sowing)
- 60cm (24in)
- F1 Hybrid
- Common name
- Moist but Well-drained
- Part Shade
- 45cm (18in)
- Sow thinly under cover, into seed beds or direct where they are to flower from May to July. Thin out direct sown seedlings to 30cm apart and transplant others into final positions in autumn for flowering the next year.
I fell on this collection of foxgloves in our trial last summer, picking them and loving them jumbled in a jug inside as well as growing in the garden. The Dalmatian series is an F1 type, consistently long-flowering, even in its first year.
If you remove the first year spent flower stems by trimming back to the base of the plant, this will aid overwintering and encourage a second year of bloom. Allow plants to form seed in the second year and they may self-sow to continue the cycle in your garden.The seed packet contains a mix of the following varieties and the seedling collection contains 1 jumbo seedling each of:
- Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian Peach' F1 Hybrid
- Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian Purple' F1 Hybrid
- Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian Cream' F1 Hybrid
- Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian Rose' F1 Hybrid
- Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian White' F1 Hybrid
Remove the first flower spike early to encourage more 'prince' flowers from the base. May require protection from severe frost. Caution: All parts of the plant are highly toxic if ingested.