Dahlias as Peonies Collection
In this collection
|Direct Sow/ Plant Out|
- Cutting Garden
- Broad Tolerance
- July - November
- 1.2m (4ft)
- Decorative Group
- Moist but Well-drained
- Full Sun
- Plant just under the soil surface, 75cm (30in) apart.
- Pot up undercover in spring, place somewhere light and frost-free and keep moist. Pinch out growing tips at 20cm and plant out after last frosts. Alternatively plant straight into the ground when the frosts are nearly over.
I know we all love a peony, but if you calculate it, peonies give you ½ bucket of cut flowers per square metre over one whole year — a truly hopeless production score! Compare that to this selection of dahlias, almost peonies in their luxurious curviness and curls, but bountiful cut flower croppers, they are as near to dahlias-as-peonies as you’ll ever find.
All dahlia flowers are edible, scatter their petals on salads for flavour, texture and colour.This collection contains 1 or 2 tubers, or 1 x 3 litre pot each of:
- Dahlia 'Café au Lait'
- Dahlia 'Penhill Dark Monarch'
- Dahlia 'Penhill Watermelon'
- Dahlia 'Café au Lait Royal'
- Dahlia 'Perch Hill'
This can be gift wrapped in our exclusive hessian sack, with ribbon and a Sarah Raven gift card. You will be able to add this to your basket once you begin the checkout process. To add a gift message to your order, simply fill out the details at the delivery stage of the checkout.
Please note: only items which are showing ‘in stock’ can be gift wrapped.
Support with a stout stick, tie in every couple of weeks. In the south you can mulch deeply and overwinter them in the ground, alternatively, lift and overwinter your dahlias frost free undercover.