In this collection
|Sow Under Cover|
|Direct Sow/ Plant Out|
- Cutting Garden
- Broad Tolerance
- June - October, 12 weeks from sowing
- 1.2m (4ft)
- Moist but Well-drained
- Full Sun
- 30cm (12in)
- Start seeds off under cover in spring. Keep warm and moist. Transplant seedlings into individual pots and grow on in cooler conditions and harden off before planting out after the last frosts. May also be sown direct in late spring.
Plant two or three of each of these magnificent amaranthus ('Coral Fountain', 'Hot Biscuits’, Green Giant' and 'Red Army’), and you’ve got the best border and vase filler to mix with dahlias.
Their exotic flower tassels and colours are perfect for spicing up your late summer and autumn garden. We trialled several of these last summer and these four came out top.This collection contains 1 packet each of:
- Amaranthus cruenthus 'Hot Biscuits'
- Amaranthus tricolor 'Red Army'
- Amaranthus caudatus 'Coral Fountain'
- Amaranthus tricolor 'Green Giant'
Amaranthus leaves can be used in stir fries, as you would pak choi. It's also delicious slightly wilted with lemon and garlic, as you might cook spinach.
Pinch out growing tip to encourage more side branches to form and keep picking regularly. It is very heat and drought tolerant. Requires staking.