I like the freshness of this relish - delicious served with burgers or sausages (or sausage burgers).
Makes 3 x 450g jars
- 7 red peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- 3 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 250g demerara or light soft brown sugar
- 350ml cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon peeled and freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (not hot)
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
Put the vegetables and all the other ingredients into a large, heavy-based stainless-steel saucepan or flameproof casserole dish. Bring gently to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer for 1-1½ hours. Stir the mixture regularly to prevent sticking or burning, as that would affect the flavour.
Pour into dry, warm, sterilised jars (you can sterilise them in a very hot dishwasher, or boil them in a pan of water for 10 minutes). Seal and label with the date.
This relish will last for several months. Once open, keep in the fridge and eat within a month.
This recipe features on p327 of Sarah Raven's Food for Friends and Family Cookbook.