how to make a velvet amaryllis vase arrangement
Nothing could be easier for a classy Christmas table. Arrange amaryllis with rosemary and a few branches from the garden. Add some baubles, silver alliums, ferns and candles. This arrangement will last from before Christmas until after New Year.
You will need:
- Our Star-engraved Storm Lantern
- Deep, rich, crimson velvet amaryllis (eg 'Royal Velvet', 'Liberty' or 'Clove'). Order about a week before you want them from your local florist – they may need to order these special varieties in, but they are so much classier than the standard pillarbox red.
- 4 or 5 short branches from the garden
- 7 or 8 stems of Rosemary. 'Miss Jessop' is great as it grows so straight.
- Allium heads, dried and sprayed silver, or our everlasting allium stems
- Mini baubles
How to Get the Look
- Ensure you transport your amaryllis in tight bud – they bruise so easily once the flowers are fully developed – so buy them to arrange a few days before you want them to be fully out and beautiful.
- Cut Amaryllis are expensive at Christmas (particularly if they're red like these 'Royal Velvet') so you want to make them last as long as you possibly can, to look good right through Christmas and well into the New Year. That's easily possible if you condition them before arranging, then each stem should last at least 2 weeks. Find a few short bamboo or green canes, or straight sticks (e.g. cornus or hazel) from the garden. Insert these up the hollow of the amaryllis stems, cutting them off at the stem end. This internal support will mean the amaryllis stems won't collapse even if you use them tall. You can also twist an elastic band around the stem end to stop them splitting and curling up like pigs tails.
- Choose a place for your arrangement which is cool and not too sunny. That will maximise the vase life of your flowers.
- Arrange your amaryllis in the vase first, to create an even shape.
- Then add your branches and rosemary (for scent). Do it this way round so you don't damage the amaryllis stems pushing them through the rosemary and lichen branches. Their stems are soft and easily tear.
- Add silver allium heads and a few baubles and decorations.
Put a drop of bleach, a Milton tablet or vinegar in the flower water to maximise vase life. Change the water and reapply bleach etc every 3-4 days.