This beetroot and squash relish has wonderful colour and flavour, is good with grilled and barbecued meat, and nice heated and served warm with pork chops. I love its taste of cumin.
Makes about 3 x 450g jars
- 500g squash, peeled and coarsely grated
- 300g raw beetroot, coarsely grated
- 300g red onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, dry-fried
- Juice and grated zest of 2 limes
- 250g soft brown sugar
- 400ml cider vinegar
Put all the ingredients into a large, heavy-based stainless-steel pan and gently bring to simmering point. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30-45 minutes, until the liquid is reduced and syrupy.
Allow to cool slightly, then spoon into sterilised jars. This relish is not like a chutney which you can store for years. Eat it within a couple of months and once opened, store in the fridge.