ratatouille chutney recipe
This is a classic chutney, delicious with bread and cheese and ideal with cottage pie. Use courgettes, small or marrow size, and pattypans if you have them.
Makes 2½ litres
- 500ml cider vinegar
- 400g brown sugar (soft light/dark brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 good sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- 4 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1kg courgettes (small or large), diced
- 1kg tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 eating apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 300g sultanas
- Maldon salt
Put the vinegar, 300ml water, sugar, herbs and spices in a very large pan. Heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Add the rest of the ingredients with a good pinch of salt.
Bring back to a simmer and cook uncovered for two hours until darkened, thick and chutney-like. Stir regularly, as chutney catches easily and will ruin the flavour if it burns.
Pour into sterilised jars while still hot, seal and leave in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening.