Protein berry smoothie
Here berries are mixed with beans. This may sound off-putting, but the beans, along with the yoghurt and linseeds, add valuable protein and substance, as well as all-important omega-3s, making the smoothie much more filling and sustaining. Cannellini beans have such a gentle flavour, I promise you won’t know they’re there, and they’re a great aid to lowering ‘bad’ cholesterol. Keep them in a bowl in the fridge and add to any smoothie. Adjust the number of dates according to your preferred level of sweetness.
For 3 (750ml)
- 250g summer fruits (blackberries, blackcurrants, blueberries, redcurrants, strawberries and raspberries – out of season, frozen is fine)
- 200g live natural yoghurt
- 300ml coconut water
- 1 heaped tablespoon tinned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon milled organic linseeds
- 2-4 stoned dates
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh root ginger
- Ice (optional)
Put all the ingredients (apart from the ice) into a blender and blitz.
Pour into three glasses, with or without ice, and serve.