A delicious spring salad with an asian twist.
For 4 as a main, 6 as a side dish
For the dressing
- 4 teaspoons tamarind paste
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste)
- Zest & juice of 2 limes
For the salad
- 2 green mangoes, peeled (unripe mangoes are equally good)
- 125g raw beetroot, peeled (approx. 1 large)
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 stick lemongrass very thinly sliced, tough outer leaves removed
- 20g parsley leaves
- 20g coriander leaves
- 40g fresh coconut
- Flaky salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sheets nori (optional)
In a jug mix together the dressing ingredients.
Using a julienne peeler, create match stick strips of the green mango, keeping going until you get to the stone.
Placing in a separate bowl, do the same with the beetroot. Alternatively using a sharp knife matchstick the beet. It is important to keep the mango and beetroot separate until the last minute to stop the beetroot bleeding into the delicate green of the mango.
Pour half the dressing in to the beetroot and half into the mango. Mix to coat thoroughly.
In a large bowl add the shallot, lemongrass, coconut and mango.
Add the coriander and parsley leaves and then the beetroot, folding through gently.
Taste for seasoning.
Crumble over the nori (or stir through the wakame when you add the beetroot).
This recipe featured in the Sarah Raven 2016 Calendar.
You may also like: