beetroot and squash relish recipe
This beetroot and squash relish has wonderful colour and flavour, is good with grilled and barbecued meat, and nice heated and served warm with pork chops. I love its taste of cumin.
makes about 3 x 450g jars
- 500g squash, peeled and coarsely grated
- 300g raw beetroot, coarsely grated
- 300g red onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, dry-fried
- Juice and grated zest of 2 limes
- 250g soft brown sugar
- 400ml cider vinegar
Put all the ingredients into a large, heavy-based stainless-steel pan and gently bring to simmering point. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30-45 minutes, until the liquid is reduced and syrupy.
Allow to cool slightly, then spoon into sterilised jars. This relish is not like a chutney which you can store for years. Eat it within a couple of months and once opened, store in the fridge.