Sunflower Seed Collection
In this collection
|Sow Under Cover|
|Direct Sow/ Plant Out|
- Cutting Garden
- Broad Tolerance
- June - October, 12-14 weeks from sowing
- 1.5m (5ft)
- Moist but Well-drained
- 3 packets of seed
- Full Sun
- 45cm (18in)
- Sow early spring under cover or direct sow mid spring. Place 2 seeds 10cm (4in) apart at each planting post, 45cm (18in) apart. If both germinate, transplant one. Pinch out the tip at 45cm (18in) to encourage branching.
Sunflowers give you fabulous scale, whopping stems and flowers 4-5ft high. They make brilliant arrangements and flower long and hard into the autumn.
This collection contains 1 packet each of:
- Helianthus annuus 'Valentine' - the perfect large-flowered sunflower with primrose yellow petals and chocolate centres
- Helianthus annuus 'Claret' F1 - wine-red sunflower which has a good dark, rich and consistent coloured flowers
- Helianthus debilis 'Vanilla Ice' - smaller, creamy white flowers, which are wonderful for hand-tied bunches
Sunflowers are hungry feeders. Improve the soil before planting out with plenty of well-rotted manure or garden compost. Water your sunflower plants regularly. You will need to stake them if they’re in an exposed position.