Our East Sussex garden is not open every day, but you can visit on the open days that are listed below. The Perch Hill shop is also open on these days, but otherwise only on weekdays by appointment. Please phone 01424 838000.
Please see the information below, or jump straight to a specific section:
For information specific to each open day, please see the list of Open Day Dates below.
- The gardens will be open from 9:30am-4:00pm, and admission is £5.
- There is no need to book on our open days; just turn up on the day, park in the field and pay at the gate.
- Our Perch Hill shop will be open for you to browse and buy from our range of plants, seeds, and home and gardening products. Please note we have limited space here, so do not stock the full range of products available on our website.
- Tea, coffee, homemade cakes and light lunches are all available to purchase. Lunch will be served from 12.15pm.
If you require further information, please ring us on 0845 050 4849. If no-one is available to take your call, please leave a message on our answer machine and we will get back to you.
- Please see our Perch Hill directions page for our address, handy map and further travel information (including taxi numbers and train station information).
Saturday 27th September
Visit the garden in autumn to see the dahlias and cosmos flourishing in the cutting garden.
The Perch Hill competition will be running. Please see below for details.
Sarah will be giving a talk entitled What's good in the garden today followed by Q&A in the barn, 2.30-3.15. The talk will cost £10 and tickets can be purchased on the day.
Wednesday 8th October
Make the most of the last opportunity this year to visit Sarah's garden at Perch Hill.
Friday 7th, Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th November
Garden and plant inspired painting, woodcut, glass and stone by two artists.
Jane Raven (Sarah's twin sister) is an artist who has her own design and production workshop in Edinburgh. For the last three years Jane has been studying flower painting and this is her first exhibition at Perch Hill. In addition, she produces beautiful pieces of stencilled and sandblasted glassware, as well as hand-engraved stone which will also be included in the exhibition.
Charlotte is an artist and a member of the Lewes Printmakers. She has used nature and the garden at Perch Hill to inspire a series of handmade original prints from blocks cut from wood, lino and card.
The Perch Hill shop and cafe will be open for tea, cakes and light lunches throughout the three days.
In 2014 we launched our Perch Hill competitions for our green-fingered visitors, keen cooks and children too, so do come along and join in the fun.
Please see specific Open Day Dates above for which days will feature a competition.
There are ten categories:
Homemade preserves and baking
1. Best jam, marmalade or helly
2. Best chutney or pickle
3. Best cake
4. Best biscuit
5. Best bread
6. Best seasonal flower arrangement (bring your own container)
7. Best basket or trug of veg
8. Veg that looks – or is made to look – most like its owner (please bring along a photo to go next to your entry)
9. Best jam jar of flowers
10. Best minature garden in a standard seed tray (37×22×6cm)
Set up: 9.30-10.30
We will provide tables in the newly restored barn. There is no charge for entering the competition and you can enter as many categories as you wish.
Sarah Raven and the Perch Hill team will judge each category.
Prize giving: 11.05-11.30
Sarah will present 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize Perch Hill Rosettes to the winners in each category.
Here are a few of our winning entrants from the April 26th Open Day:
Here are a few of our winning entrants from the August 23rd Open Day: