Onyx Sweet Pea Mix
In this mix
|Sow Under Cover|
|Direct Sow/ Plant Out|
- Hardy Annual, Hardy Annual Climber
- Cutting Garden, On a Climbing Support
- Broad Tolerance
- May - August (winter-sown) or June - September (spring-sown), or 12-14 weeks from spring-sowing of seed.
- 1.8m (6ft)
- Common name
- Sweet Pea
- Moist but Well-drained
- 20 seeds
- Full Sun
- Plant out, 2 plants to a vertical support, 15cm (6in) apart in a mild spell in March-May.
- Sow October to April, 2 seeds into 1 Rootrainer. When roots fill container, pot on 2 seedlings together into a 1 litre pot. Pinch out tips when plants have 4 pairs of leaves. If autumn sown, overwinter in a light, cool place.
The darkest, richest, highly-scented mix of sweet peas, with the stippled 'Lilac Ripple' to add a bit of brightness.
This exclusive mix includes:
- Lathyrus 'Almost Black'
- Lathyrus 'Lilac Ripple'
- Lathyrus 'Windsor'
Over the last 15 years we've trialled almost 100 different varieties of sweet peas, looking for delicious scent as our number one requirement. These are the very best varieties, pinched out for strong, long-flowering and highly productive plants.
No garden is complete without sweet peas. Grow them over arches, teepees and trellis and plant them with your runner beans to draw lots of insect pollinators into your veg patch.
We sow our highly-scented, old-fashioned sweet pea seeds in the winter, as well as in the spring, so that you will have excellent productive plants throughout the summer.
Plant seedlings out during a mild spell March-May, providing support. Tie the stems into your framework on a regular basis and pinch out tendrils.