Don't try and cook more than this in one go, as the wok will be overwhelmed. This is a delicious and quick, tasty dinner.
For the veg
- 600g autumn veg – carrots, courgettes, purple sprouting or tender stem broccoli, red pepper, ruby chard stems, sugar snaps or mange touts)
- 4 spring onions, cut thinly on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 thumb of ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 stems of lemon grass, finely chopped
- 1 red finger chilli, cut in half, seeds removed and sliced finely widthways
- Salt and pepper
- Plenty of fresh coriander
For the noodles
- 500g Chinese egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 bag of beansprouts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- 50g bunch of coriander
Cut all the vegetables into even size pieces about 6-7cms in length and in particular the carrots and courgettes, about 3-4mm in width.
Meanwhile put the noodles in a large pan of boiling water and take off the heat. Cover and leave for 6 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking time (or follow instructions on the pack).
Heat the oil on a high heat in a large wok or the largest frying pan you have (the bigger the better, as you want the veg to be well spread out in the pan. This helps the veg to fry and not steam, preventing it losing its crunch). Fry the chilli, lemon grass and ginger for 30 seconds, then add the rest of the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and stir continually for 5 minutes to ensure all the vegetables get coated in the oil and touch the sides and base of the hot pan.
Make the dressing for the noodles, mixing the oil, garlic and peanut butter well together. Then add the chilli, spring onion, bean sprouts (if using) and sesame seeds.
Drain the noodles and pour into a large heated serving bowl. Pour over the dressing and toss. Then add the soy sauce, lime juice and coriander, toss again and season. Take the veg off the heat and stir through the coriander and serve immediately with the noodles.
This recipe featured in the Sarah Raven 2015 Calendar.