Baked Apples recipe
Baked apples are a British classic which should be eaten at least once during the apple season. Serve it with thick cream. The apples are also lovely filled with mincemeat.
- 4 medium-sized Bramley or other cooking apples
- 75g soft butter, plus more for the dish
- 75g soft brown sugar
- Grated zest of 1 whole lemon and juice of ½ lemon
- 100g sultanas
- 1 tablespoon brandy or Calvados (optional)
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds or pine nuts, toasted
Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
Core your apples and, with a sharp knife, score a line just through the apple skin round each apple two-thirds of the way up. This will stop them from exploding in the oven as they expand during cooking. Place in
a buttered shallow open dish.
Mix together the butter, sugar, sultanas, lemon zest and juice. Stir in the brandy or Calvados, if you are including it. Fill the cavities of the apples with the mixture, piling it up on top on the apples.